In 2013, Urban Ecos led EarthWatch volunteers on expedition's to collect data on San Francisco's urban forest. Our goal was to gather benchmark data to allow changes over time to be observed. The information we collected will support improved management of urban trees and provide data to underscore the positive impact the urban forest has on the environment and the local community.
Urban Ecos provided the following services:
- Selection of a random sample of trees in four neighborhoods.
- Development of maps, data collection sheets, and species keys for tree identification.
- Training volunteers to identify species and to measure tree sizes.
- Oversight of data collection on site.
- Quality check of data during and after collection.
- Liaison with corporate partners.
EarthWatch Expedition: Exploring San Francisco's Urban Forest
EarthWatch’s Urban Forest Expedition